FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE: A stroll through the thriving commercial center of Rabanastre FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE: A stroll through the thriving commercial center of Rabanastre

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE: A stroll through the thriving commercial center of Rabanastre

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE: A stroll through the thriving commercial center of Rabanastre

We join an average working man on his travels around the bustling city.

I wonder how many years it’s been since I started working at my current company. Thinking back to the early days, I was so worried about the new environment, the new people... A lot of things that were new to me back then, in any case. But I also remember it as a time when I was constantly stimulated, each and every day. A time when I couldn’t feel bored even if I tried.

What’s led to me reminiscing on a not-so-distant past like this? Burn-out, basically. I’ve become worn down from the daily grind. My body feeling a bit heavy at the end of the day I can deal with, but emotional heaviness is another ball game entirely

Speaking of downward spirals, I hear there’s problems in the Royal City of Rabanastre, with far fewer tourists coming since the new consul’s inauguration. Rabanastre was where I went on my first-ever trip to Ivalice, and back then, it really seemed to be thriving, with parades and whatnot going on. And later on, even though they were at war with Archadia, the city should still have been a hub for trade with neighboring countries. What could have gone wrong?

Well, regardless, I’m going to be visiting the city - putting my saved-up vacation days to use, and hoping a little exploration will knock me out of the funk I’m in.

Inconvenient to reach, you say? Not with skyferries

column04_FF12TZA_01.jpeg

As Rabanastre is surrounded by desert and plains, I’d highly recommend coming and going by the skyferries operated by the East Ivalice Company. They offer two types of service, one rapid and one slower. The former’s great for when you only care about getting to your destination, and the latter for when you want to soak up the sights (and do a spot of in-flight shopping while you’re at it). The key here is to pick whichever fits your mood and schedule. The cost is actually the same either way, and I myself go with the slower ride as a rule.

column04_FF12TZA_02.jpeg

In the observation parlor, you can pick up gysahl greens, leafy vegetables that make excellent gifts for friends back home. They do have a slightly intense aroma, but many consider that part of their charm. I’m not even at the city yet and I can hardly control my excitement here! But the day is long, better chill out a bit.

As the airships aren’t overly quick, feel free to head out to the observation deck and feel the powerful winds for yourself.

column04_FF12TZA_03.jpeg

I was doing so myself, letting the blustery air clear my mind, when a well-built older male bangaa struck up a conversation with me. Seems he’d been temporarily living away from home, with a job fixing up the fortress in Nalbina. He was headed back home to Rabanastre for the first time in some while. We have a few things in common, him and I.

The journey starts at the aerodrome

column04_FF12TZA_04.jpeg

We’ve landed at the aerodrome, the main gate into Rabanastre. It was 2006 when I was last here, meaning it’s been a whole 13 years. Rabanastre’s main landmark is the Royal Palace, which towers over everything to the north. The city is split into four districts by cardinal directions, but it’s simply too massive to keep track of it all. Even locals lose their way sometimes, from what I gather. Naturally, I’ve completely forgotten my way around the place. You can’t get a smartphone signal or anything here, so your only choice is doing away with that particular bit of modern convenience, and instead purchasing a map from a cartographer.

column04_FF12TZA_05.jpeg

Immediately after leaving the aerodrome, I come across a stable renting out chocobos. While there are many ways of getting around Ivalice, many favor traveling atop these massive birds with fluffy, yellow plumage. I suppose they’re a little like ostriches - a cursorial species adapted for running - but certainly more exotic than anything I’ve seen back home. I suppress the urge to hop on one and dash across the land, reminding myself that Rabanastre is my destination today. Next up I’ll be heading to the heart of the city - the Southern Plaza. ...But not before sharing some of my gysahl greens with the chocobos.

Southern Plaza, the cross-junction between the city’s gates

Visiting Rabanastre by airship necessitates passing through the Southern Plaza. A magnificent fountain is installed in the middle of the plaza, and just being in the area fills your body with a sort of negative ion electrical charge. It’s utterly fantastic! Just the mood it puts you in alone will have physical benefits. That’s the magic of negative ions, right?

column04_FF12TZA_06.jpeg

Passing through the Southern Plaza, you’ll have a chance to get a good look at the Royal Palace, and I definitely suggest you take it. It’s a part of the same city, but it’s far enough away to be a bit hazy. It really hammers home just how big Rabanastre is.

column04_FF12TZA_07.jpeg

I came across an imperial guard, taking his duties seriously. It was nice to have some company while trying to get my bearings.

Muthru Bazaar - We’ll start with a quick bite!

If you’re planning on walking through a city as big as Rabanastre, you shouldn’t do it on an empty stomach. I’m going to head west to Muthru Bazaar in the commercial district. A single step inside the area and you can immediately tell that there’s nowhere else even remotely as hopping as here. You’ve got all the people coming and going, and the shop hands tying to charm them in for a look at what they’ve got available. This isn’t your standard city “hustle and bustle” - it’s LOUD.

column04_FF12TZA_08.jpeg

With so much to choose from, it’s hard picking just one thing... But then again, it’d make no sense to have come all this way only to get too full to walk. I buy some nanna milk cheese from an older blue-skinned seeq, and snack on it as I go. It’s quite good!

column04_FF12TZA_09.jpeg

But food and drink is not all Muthru Bazaar offers. You can also find a variety of antiques, curiosities, tools, you name it. It’s essentially exactly what you imagine when you think of the word “bazaar.” Chatting with some locals taught me that this area is where they come when they want to let loose and blow off a little steam. Seems like the watch of the soldiers who came to Rabanastre after the empire invaded is a bit looser here. I’m learning a lot today... Life in this city doesn’t seem like a simple affair, that’s for sure.

The Clan Centurio headquarters - Even finding it is a test of your abilities

I head east, nibbling on my nanna cheese as I walk. I end up losing my way, and find myself at a building I don’t recognize at all. “Well, it’s been 13 years...” you might say, but I was actually looking at my map the whole time!

column04_FF12TZA_10.jpeg

As this place seems to be more than meets the eye, when I see a relaxed-looking young moogle, I go ahead and ask him about it. He tells me this is the Clan Centurio headquarters, and apparently it was quite the achievement to have even located the place. It’s too bad I’m neither a clan member nor a hunter.

column04_FF12TZA_11.jpeg

I take a good look around the area, and see that there’s a crowd of hunters, all raring to make a name for themselves. A slim female viera, standing up straight and tall, says she wants to test her abilities, while a male bangaa says he’s looking to make a fortune. They’re not playing around, are they? Seeing all of them like this, amped up for the day’s work, I start to feel a bit ashamed. I’ve been beaten by the grind, and have lost the resolution I had when I first started my career. Maybe that moogle wasn’t mistaken when he said I looked like I had the makings of a hunter... I could start by confronting my horrible boss and... No, the thing I need to work toward is regaining the mindset and enthusiasm I once had. That’s the key.

The moogle almost roped me into joining the clan, but I told him my fight is elsewhere. He then kindly directed me to my intended destination, Lowtown, on the eastern side of the city, and saw me on my way.

Lowtown - An area that feels like a secret hideout

column04_FF12TZA_12.jpeg

Next, the underground streets in the eastern part of Rabanastre. Lowtown, as it’s known, has a calm to it that couldn’t be further from the clamor seen on the surface. Maybe that’s why the first thing I think when I arrive is “secret hideout.” The area was previously used for storehouses, a place where packages, baggage, and whatnot were kept. After the war, however, there was an influx of city dwellers moving here, and the area was renovated to make it more liveable. I ponder this local history as I walk down these subterranean streets, lit only by the gentle lights of the shops.

column04_FF12TZA_13.jpeg

Water flowing from a river in the Dalmasca Estersand provides the people of Lowtown with a place to relax and refresh themselves. The folk who’ve been forced into living down here have a quiet strength to them. You can sense it in the air, and I seem to find myself feeling more motivated.

The Sandsea - For a toast at the end of a journey

Well, then, looks like this trip’s just about on the home stretch. I bid adieu to Lowtown and head back to the surface, where I’m greeted by a dark sky and the sounds of the town’s bustling nighttime streets.

column04_FF12TZA_14.jpeg

A sit-down and a breather sounds nice right about now. At times like these, you could do worse than a drink or two at The Sandsea, a tavern popular with the locals. Like most taverns, you’ll find people of all backgrounds - it’s a microcosm of Rabanastre.

The Sandsea is also where people with monster problems post hunt requests to have them eliminated. Each time a new one goes up on the board, you’ll see a pretty significant number of individuals setting off outside the walls in pursuit of a reward.

column04_FF12TZA_15.jpeg

The bulletin board has helped make the place a real hotspot for city residents to gather.

While surveying the ground floor from up on the second, one of the tavern’s employees quietly starts up a conversation with me. Perhaps he noticed that I’m a outsider and wants to make me feel welcome.

column04_FF12TZA_16.jpeg

According to him, this second-floor area has only recently become open to regular customers. After the war, it served as a meeting place for imperial soldiers for quite some time. But the newly inaugurated consul has put an end to that, and thanks to him, a jovial atmosphere fills the place once more.

Rabanastre - Lively and full of personality

Boarding my skyferry back home, I think about the people of the city. Things have changed significantly in the years since the war, in both good and not-so-good ways. Yet they keep at it each day, never losing their dynamism and vigor. It’s inspired me to try and take on the same attitude back home.

I have to say, though, I never did figure out why the tourists stopped coming like that. Perhaps I’d have been clued in if my stay in the city was a longer one. But as it stands I’m out of time, and this particular trip is just about at its end.

But I’m okay with that. I may not know the whys and hows, but I think that Rabanastre is always going to be a place that pulls me in. And thankfully, I’m lucky enough to live in an era where visiting is as easy as turning on a videogame console.

I really want to encourage all of you to visit not just Rabanastre, but other distant worlds, too.
You might find that when you return home, whatever troubles you’d been facing have grown a bit lighter.

(End)

PlayStation®Store Hong Kong

PlayStation®Store Hong Kong(EN)

Nintendo Store Hong Kong

PlayStation®Store Taiwan

PlayStation®Store Taiwan(EN)

PlayStation®Store Korea

Nintendo Store Korea

PlayStation®Store Thailand

PlayStation®Store Singapore

PlayStation®Store Indonesia

PlayStation®Store Malaysia